Tupu is a recent initiative to create long-term sustainable employment for young people in the horticulture sector. This has been developed through a partnership between Te Rarawa and Te Hiku Iwi Development Trust, with the support of local businesses. Based in Kaitaia, the initiative is locally designed and delivered. 20% of the participants’ time is spent learning and working towards a qualification, while the other 80% is spent working for local horticulturalists, as the programme is supported by local businesses. This year they have taken in 20 young workers to join the year-long programme. Through the programme, the workers are provided support in transitioning into full-time work in the horticulture sector.
Justification for excellence as assessed against framework
This artefact best aligns with the vocational excellence rubric: Work-based Learning, particularly with regards to Participation, Access, and Skills and Competencies. The programme removes barriers to participation and access by providing a supportive learning environment, with employers and trainers providing pastoral care that is suited towards the needs of individual learners, for example under-served learners. It shows the success of the partnership between iwi and local businesses, e.g. Bells, who provide rangatahi with structured work-based learning and job opportunities in the horticulture sector, formally recognising this through accreditation. This experience broadens learners’ competencies, both in terms of technical skillsets and soft skills, creating a pathway to life-long learning and sustainable future employment.
Additional information and links
Name: Bridget Dawson – Project Lead – Capability Development
Phone: 021 0847 0255